Saturday, July 26, 2008

Is My Cell Phone Going to Give me Cancer?

Every so often the media comes out with the Big C scare. That's right, Cancer. As in, If you use a cell phone it might give you cancer.

The AP just ran a story: Pittsburgh Cancer Center Warns of Cell Phone Risks

The director of the Institute issued a warning to faculty and staff that they should limit cell phone use if they don't want to get cancer. Of course this warning is not based on any scientific research. It is supposedly based on "unpublished data" and/or the director's wish to rather be safe than sorry.

Dr. Ronald B. Herberman said
"Really at the heart of my concern is that we shouldn't wait for a definitive study to come out, but err on the side of being safe rather than sorry later," Herberman said."

That's Nice, but if that's the case we should just stop living. I mean stay in your house all day ( or maybe not, the house might give you cancer) and don't do anything. Don't eat. Don't Drink. Because face it- just about everything can kill you in one way or another. Life is about taking certain risks and making choices. Yet so many academics, doctors, and politicians think that they know how to run your life.

I suppose there was a time when people didn't know cigarettes caused cancer. Now we know they are very bad for your health and can be deadly. I suppose it is posssible that one day we will come to realize that second hand cell phone is as deadly as cigarette smoke- but somehow I doubt it.

In the meantime what is the reaction to this information. Yep, FEAR. People are scared and for no reason. Despite little or no evidence and most studies stating just the opposite people are going to be worried about getting cancer from using a cell phone. I guess some of society's Nannies think that is a GOOD thing- because if people are so scared and cautious just MAYBE some lives will be saved. More lives would probably be saved if people stopped taking Tylenol, but I don't see any reason for that either.

I'm not going to let irrational Fear rule my life..or take away my cell phone.

No comments: